History - Photo - Archive Information
The Red Funnel Era - 1949-1968
Balmoral - as built in 1949
The above drawing shows MV Balmoral as built for her original owners Red Funnel. Aft she had a side loading car deck and the Dining Saloon was forward - where the Britannia Lounge is now situated.
In her 1986 re-fit the car deck was built over, providing an enlarged promenade deck above and enabling the current dining saloon to be provided.
Balmoral Engine Room Tour: https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=UiZC2kmIuqo
Filmed in 2015 - these are 6 cylinder Grenaa engines installed in winter 2002. They drive fixed-pitch propellors through Reintjes reverse reduction gearboxes and replaced the original Newbury Sirron engines installed when the ship was built.
Further information will be added to this page shortly.